Subscribe to The Beacon Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
  • September 16, 2013 at 7:42 pm

• April 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

Early Release Days to end next year

Ricardo Becerra, Reporter
May 6, 2012
Filed under Features

Most students savor the half day, while some teachers detest it. Early Release represent the relaxation to many, but the Saint Paul public school district doesn’t see it the same way students do.
“It’s a day where we catch up on our sleep,” said Pang Yang, a senior at Harding High school.
But what happens when that day no longer exists at Saint Paul Public schools?
As of next year, 2012-2013, early release day will be canceled, which means Harding will have to find new ways to fill in for what we do on early release days: writing prompts, testing, and other teacher/student beneficial activities.
Many students will be disappointed, but it wasn’t Harding that decided to cancel early release days; it was other Saint Paul Public schools who didn’t use those days properly and decided to omit them, Mr. Revsbeck, the Principal at Harding High school, said.
Harding was one of the few who opposed the decision, Mr. Revsbeck said.
The reasoning behind early release days was to give teachers time to come together for professional learning. The problem with early release days was that it became a burden for families. It collided with their work scheduling, kids were home too early, and many times there were no babysitters or someone to watch over their kids.
“At Harding we used that time wisely,” said Mr. Revsbeck.
On early release days, the students used that time to do their writing prompts, to improve their writing skills and literacy.
“Our momentum is in literacy; in this building we address that for improvement in work,” Mr.Revsbeck said.
Mr. Revsbeck hopes to look for options and opportunities to fit in the writing initiative since Harding will no longer have anymore early release days.
“It is very high priority, and I’m going to be challenged,” he said.
The teachers liked the idea of the writing initiative and students benefit from it.
“We will make it work,” Mr. Revsbeck said.

Comments

The Beacon intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Beacon allows anonymous comments.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!