Students question safety of Harding

Illustration by Mai Vue.
Illustration by Mai Vue.

Illustration by Mai Vue.

Illustration by Mai Vue.

Elezebet Mitiku, Reporter

Recently we’ve had an incident involving a loaded gun in a student’s backpack, and some students that came from different schools this year question the school’s safety.

Some students that transfer to Harding from different schools like Highland Park or Washington sometimes hear bad things about Harding. For example, “Harding’s the worst, I hate it!” or, “Did you hear about the fight at Harding?” and, “Highland is a school full of students who want to be successful. Harding is not! Find the rare ones at Harding that want to be successful.”

Christina, a sophomore, went to Highland last year. When she found out she had to move to Harding, she already thought that it was going to be a bad school because of what she heard her from her friends.
“They told me that there were like, so many fights every day, and that the education was really bad, so then I was really scared on how it would be compared to my old school,” she said.
“I’m kind of more scared!” she replied after the Beacon asked if her thoughts on Harding changed after the gun.

When junior Yuritzy attended Washington, people had the same thoughts as Highland. Her friends didn’t like the fact that she had to move.
“They were worried about me because they heard the wrong, bad stuff about Harding, like the safety stuff,” she said. When asked about the gun incident, her thoughts didn’t really change. “I was expecting something bad throughout the year, but not this early, I guess,” she replied.

One student named Sara, a freshman from Highland, didn’t really have a negative opinion on Harding in the first place. She didn’t even know the gun incident occurred until the Beacon brought it up and asked if her opinions on Harding changed at all, to which she simply replied, “No.”

But some other students from different schools didn’t really care about the incident, since there was no intention of shooting up the school anyway.

Goly, a freshman that came from Highland, used to always hear about Harding as the “worst school.” But then as she started going for the first couple months, she started to get used to it. “It was okay,” she said. The incident didn’t really change her thoughts on the school now either.
“It was pretty dumb. It’s still okay.”

Sandy, a junior who used to go to Johnson, wasn’t really surprised or scared when she heard about it. Johnson had a similar incident a couple of years ago involving a pipe.
“The year before I went to Johnson, someone brought in a bat, you know, and beat someone up with it. A pipe, I’m sorry,” she said. She thinks that since the gun was never intended to be used at school, then it isn’t something we should worry about.

• Students question safety of Harding

Features

Harding again one of the ‘most challenging schools’

• Students question safety of Harding

Features

New cafe brings out the best for staff

• Students question safety of Harding

Features

Appeal of School Meat to Students

• Students question safety of Harding

Features

Is Catfishing the New Trend on Social Media?

• Features

How one gesture can change a season

• Students question safety of Harding

Features

SEA club hopes to become more diverse

• Students question safety of Harding

Features

Students flock to MAD club

• Students question safety of Harding

Features

The Origins behind Philosophy Club

• Features

Diversity plays an important role in education

• Students question safety of Harding

Features

Eating disorders could have a lifelong impact

Students question safety of Harding