SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Majority of SEA Club members at Homecoming. Photo by Matthew Moua

Sheng Yang, Reporter

South East Asia (SEA) is a club at Harding High School. Before, the club was primarily focused on the Southeast Asian cultures, but this year’s objective changed to focus on making the club as diverse as possible.

“Our ‘sea’ meaning has now changed to a “sea of diversity,” said Becky Vue, the president of SEA Club.

This decision influenced other cultures to join the club. Though there aren’t a lot of new ethnicities, they do have many new members and races. The club doesn’t wish to expand with more cultures at this point. They hope to get themselves more engaged with the school and community before any more changes are applied.

The club has been at Harding for about ten years now. The members really enjoy spending time and bonding with each other, which is why members believe it has been active for so long. Many of the activities they do involve engaging with each other and letting yourself loose. This is a very close knit club. “It feels like family,” Jennifer, a student, said. “This club lets students be free since it is less of an organization. Yet, they do host the talent show themselves and help out with the Harding’s Hmong New Year. There isn’t really an impact or a purpose on the school, but if there were, it would show the unity of bringing cultures together.”

There are many perspectives of the club, especially with culture and race. Though not much has changed with Harding and the race card, there is a better understanding of racial inequality even if it is not taught.  In SEA Club everyone understands everyone. “I’ve also realized how much more significant each and every student is within their own mind and just in general their cultures and race,” said Becky.

Even Jennifer said, “Diversity was very limited to people who wanted to join, so we changed it so they wouldn’t feel uncomfortable.”

To the members, it only felt right to change this year’s objective.

Many members believe that in SEA Club, there is no such thing about having a “best experience.” The experiences expand throughout the time in the club so that eventually, being part of it is the best experience.

For future SEA Club members, Becky hopes that there is fun and commitment to the club. “I guarantee that if you just attend the meetings, you will fall more in depth with the people in the club and learn much more than you intended to.”

• SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Features

Harding again one of the ‘most challenging schools’

• SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Features

New cafe brings out the best for staff

• SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Features

Appeal of School Meat to Students

• SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Features

Is Catfishing the New Trend on Social Media?

• Features

How one gesture can change a season

• SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Features

Students flock to MAD club

• SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Features

The Origins behind Philosophy Club

• Features

Diversity plays an important role in education

• SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Features

Eating disorders could have a lifelong impact

• SEA club hopes to become more diverse

Features

Jet Mika

SEA club hopes to become more diverse