Appeal of School Meat to Students

Some of the lunch ladies enjoying another day in preparing lunch.
Photo by Nathalia Cortes Vazquez.

Some of the lunch ladies enjoying another day in preparing lunch. Photo by Nathalia Cortes Vazquez.

Nathalia Cortes Vazquez, Reporter

Students at Harding are questioning whether the school’s lunch meat is considered top quality.

The topic of school lunch meat has been questioned as far back as the 1980s, starting with a lunch staff looking at boxes labeled with the quality of the meat that’s being served, such as ‘F’ quality.

Students aren’t appreciating the free meals the school has to offer, including the meat. Lunches include some kind of meat every day.

“I expected it (the meat) to be more flavorful,” an anonymous student said without much hesitation, adding that she would have thought the food would be more controlled and have a standard grade.

The meat at school is considered dry and tasteless by many students, and with its frozen appearance, “tastes like jail food,” said Maila Ly, a 10th grader.

Recent studies of investigating the quality of meat from different schools have shown that meat from supermarkets are 70 percent ‘pink slime,’ told by David Mikkelson a California journalist, which contains the leftover fat from other animals. These are mostly contained in animal food.

Over the years, students have been asking for better food, something most kids will enjoy eating that doesn’t give off a bad vibe or stomachache when being eaten.

Many don’t realize their food contains at least six different ingredients, especially in the meat from burgers.

Harding lunch staff have been offering a meal with meat every day. This gives some pleasure to most students. However, there are those who can’t enjoy lunch since both lines in lunch have some kind of meal with meat.

There are some vegetarians or vegans at school who don’t have much choice in the matter of what to eat during lunch since the cafeteria never offers meat-free meals.  They have to go to the sidebar and get a yogurt or a salad, which could cause them to lose their appetite for salad and yogurts. Having the same food every day is tiring, these students say.
A few years ago, lunch used to include a wide variety of choices. Now health experts have decided to provide food that is healthier and more controllable.
Beginning in the 1990s, schools had to offer certain amount of proteins so there would be a better balance in meals. Gin Eckert, a college student earning her master’s degree, expressed her love for lunch back in the days.”I loved high school back then!” she said.

Not having a choice in lunch, vegans and vegetarians often end up stressing themselves out. This results in tiredness for the rest of the school day and a lack of effort in school.
Most schools around the St.Paul area have meat-based meals and very few non-meat meals. Washburn High in Minneapolis has had students recognize a ‘Food Day’ since 2014 with meals that are a comfort to all students.  A day where there’s different kind of meals for every student. Washburn High lunch is considered as Subway, picking what you want to eat for the day.

• Features

What it takes to be the greatest

• Appeal of School Meat to Students

Features

The Attraction Valentine’s Day Brings In

• Appeal of School Meat to Students

Features

Harding again one of the ‘most challenging schools’

• Appeal of School Meat to Students

Features

New cafe brings out the best for staff

• Appeal of School Meat to Students

Features

Is Catfishing the New Trend on Social Media?

• Features

How one gesture can change a season

• Appeal of School Meat to Students

Features

SEA club hopes to become more diverse

• Appeal of School Meat to Students

Features

Students flock to MAD club

• Appeal of School Meat to Students

Features

The Origins behind Philosophy Club

• Features

Diversity plays an important role in education

Appeal of School Meat to Students