Not good enough for Education Secretary

Andy Thao, Reporter

Since the dramatic changes by President Donald Trump, another stun to the nation occurs once again.

On Feb. 7, Betsy DeVos was nominated for the United States Secretary of Education which I think is probably the biggest shock since Trump proposed the travel ban even though there wasn’t much time between the two.

If you didn’t know who she is, she is the soon-to-be Secretary of Education of the United States. It doesn’t look so bad if you look her up on Wikipedia. She is quite the person, she was a member of the board of Foundation of Excellence in Education, she also was chairwomen of the Alliance for School Choice and Action Institute which tells me that she is a decent nominee to be the Secretary of Education, however the one thing that she lacks is the knowledge of how public education works.

A person that does not know a thing about managing public education should not be in charge of managing public education. It’s like a person who doesn’t have anything on a resume getting hired at some top-notch company. Does getting involved with private schools make her qualified? No, it doesn’t. Just because she is involved in private schools doesn’t mean she can manage and lead both private and public education.

Well, aren’t public and private schools the same thing? You manage a school, work hard and teach students and you have a great community, right? Sure, you can call it the same if you think of school, but no, it’s not the same. Public and private schools run totally differently. The main difference between the two is money. Public schools don’t charge money for students to attend while private schools charge students money to attend their school. Public schools rely on federal, state and local taxes to be funded. The downside is that some public schools are rather underfunded and must follow regulations created by the government. Private schools generate their own money by charging students, grants and fundraising. The downside of this is the amount of money to pay to go to school. According to the National Association of Independent Schools, the medium average to go to private day schools in 2008-2009 in the United States was $10,841 while boarding schools were about $23,448. Another difference is that by law, public schools must accept all children while private schools are the opposite and are very selective on who enrolls at their school.

In my opinion public schools are much harder to manage because public schools need to rely on federal, state and local taxes. Public schools need to be managed properly and often need lots of money to manage and if they don’t get the money they need then they can end up with poor conditions and low enrollment.

• Arts

The Points “The Great Wall” Had Received

• Opinion

Nick Cannon Leaves AGT!?

• Opinion

Why Do Sports?

• Not good enough for Education Secretary

Opinion

Trump Point

Opinion

Book Review on Replica

Opinion

Would You Listen to Free Slime?

Opinion

Why Donald Trump Is Not Fit To Be President

Opinion

The Danger and Benefits of Events Involved with Black Friday

Opinion

Creationism has no place in Science Classrooms

Opinion

Michelle Obama versus Melania Trump: Who’s the better First Lady?

Not good enough for Education Secretary