Changing of class schedule not to happen any time soon

Mr. Rissman, assistant principal posing for a picture. Photo by Andy Thao

Andy Thao, Reporter

Harding’s schedule will not change to a six period day, Principal Revsbeck told staff last week despite the talk of such a change across the district.

“The district is looking at a budget shortfall,” said Jeff Rissman, an assistant principal at Harding High School. “I don’t know the specific numbers, but as a whole they were looking where they can save money.”

The budget shortfall in the district could affect Harding in a number of ways.

“The way money ties in with schedules is because it depends on the building schedule,” said Mr. Rissman. “There are some schedules that are much more expensive than others.”

For example, at Harding, even though students have seven classes, teachers are only teaching five periods. The other two periods are for teachers to have prep hours and PLC (Professional Learning Community) time, where teachers are meeting with other teachers that teach the same subject as they do. An example of a PLC hour is when all the teachers who teach Algebra 2 would meet during a certain hour to make sure their learning goals are aligned and that their students will be successful.

“If the district were to come to Harding and tell students that they are on a six period day, then teachers would only have one period to have either prep hour or PLC,” said Mr. Rissman. “If we also cut classes from seven to six, then we would have to cut down on teachers.”

Changing the schedule for Harding would also mean changing the times for all other high schools in the district.

“If the district were to change the schedule then that means other high schools may have to change their schedules,” said Mr. Rissman.

The district sees a lot of mobility, so if they were to change the seven period day to a six period day then many other schools would have to change to accommodate student mobility and make transportation and transferring credits easier.

“The reason why the district is having the budget shortfalls is because students generate money,” said Mr. Rissman.

The district has lost students. If Harding were to gain more students, then the school Woolley have to gain more money so it can support all the students.

Another reason the district is running low on money is because of funding issues that the state legislature has to go through to make sure the district has enough money.

However, budget cuts will not be addressed by a schedule change – at least not this year. “According to my superiors, there is a strong indication that the change of the seven day period to a six day period is not going to happen,” said Doug Revsbeck, the principal of Harding High school.

Mr. Rissman later added that the decision does leave the possibility that it can still change for the following year.