Subscribe to The Beacon Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook
  • September 16, 2013 at 7:42 pm

• April 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

CAUTION: The sewers are known to be dangerous with vicious alligators.

Chloe Moore, Opinion and Variety Editor
March 31, 2012
Filed under The Bacon

“I had never heard anything like it before. It sounded sort of like a chainsaw revving up,” said Katherine Hawkins, a sophomore here at Harding. “And the weirdest thing about it was that it was coming from a manhole. I couldn’t help myself; I had to check it out.”

Strange noises like the ones Katherine heard have been reported by many people, all
claiming that they were coming from manholes. “Yeah, I heard it,” said Will Anders, a Harding junior. “And when I heard what Katherine saw when she went and explored, it all sort of clicked.”

“At first, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It seemed impossible,” said Hawkins. “What I saw, I think it will haunt me forever. In those sewers, I…I saw an alligator.”

“It must have been 25 feet long or something. At first, when I left the sewers, I thought that I had imagined the whole thing, but then I heard about other people hearing the same noises,” she said. “There is an actual alligator swimming in the sewers.”

“When I heard it, I didn’t think much of it, at least, not until I saw the FBI agent,” said Jacky Miller, a freshman at Harding. “The sound was that of an engine starting up. And when I started to go closer to the manhole to check it out, I was stopped by a big man wearing the stereotypical FBI get-up.”

He then flashed his badge at her and told her that she wasn’t allowed to be there, and to go home. “When I asked why I shouldn’t be there, all he would say was that it was official FBI business, and that I had no right to be there,” said Miller.

When asked of that very same FBI agent of what was going on, his reply was “nothing that concerns you.”

The FBI agent was also seen by Will Anders. “He sort of reminded me of Will Smith in
MIB. I could just imagine him pulling out that laser thing and erasing my memories,” said Anders. “He was standing around a manhole, searching the ground around it. It got even weirder when he took off the manhole cover and went down into the sewers.”

Many of you may be thinking that these reports are ludicrous, and are all fabricated, and you may even be thinking that there is no way an alligator who is meant to live in swamps, marshes and lakes can now be living in a sewer.

But there may be some truth to it, at least according to Harris Thompson, a herpetologist, which is a scientist who studies reptiles and amphibians.

“I really shouldn’t be telling you this, but I think it is time the story was told,” said Thompson. “A while ago, about 50 years or so, a group of very…ambitious scientists decided to… try and play God.”

“They wanted to study how alligators would adapt and evolve to survive in a completely new environment from their current ones, which are mainly things such as lakes and swamps in brackish to fresh types of water.” said he. “So they took four alligators and began introducing them to their new home, the sewers.”

They used tracking devices attached to collars around the alligators. Two of the alligators perished in the first year, from starvation.

“Down in the sewer, there must not have been enough food for them to hunt and eat,” said Thompson. “And the other two, well, the theory is that they destroyed their tracking devices, and, well, disappeared, not to be seen again until now…”

“It very well could be that they somehow managed and have been living in the sewers since then. Creatures’ abilities to adapt to new surroundings in order to survive can be truly extraordinary,” Thompson said.

“I saw it with my own eyes. There is no more doubt in my mind. We have a fully grown, I should say at least one fully grown, alligator in our sewers,” said Hawkins. “How can anybody deny such evidence?”

The mystery of the noises from the manholes might be solved for Katherine Hawkins, but for others, it is not. “The idea of an alligator in our sewers is preposterous,” said Mike Scott, a sophomore at Harding. “These people, they just like the attention. Nothing more.”

Whatever your opinion may be, it is clear of only one thing: there is something happening  with our sewers. Something some of us may never know about, especially if the FBI has its way.

Comments

The Beacon intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Beacon allows anonymous comments.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!