The Origins behind Philosophy Club

Philosophy Club sells Kimchi Quesadilla during Hmong New Year. Photo by Priscilla Yang

Priscilla Yang, Assistant Photo Edito

Philosophy is a word that contains much meaning and yet is hard to define. On Google, philosophy is defined as “the general study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence.”

What is philosophy, really, and how has it made its impact in the world that we live in? The history of philosophy dates back to the time before Christ. Famous philosophers such as Plato, Socrates and John Locke changed the world with their interpretations of the mysteries of our existence.

Justin Yang, Vice President of Philosophy Club, offered this insight on the importance of philosophy: “Philosophy helps us understand ourselves, and the world around us. It makes us think outside the box, like great leaders and great inventors, and to question our understanding, while also understanding our surroundings.”

Philosophy Club was created last October by former student Salamong Xiong, who is now a freshman at Macalester College. During his senior year, it was a struggle balancing school along with extracurricular activities, but nevertheless, he was determined to create a place where individuals could freely express themselves.

His idea for Philosophy Club was based on another vision. In his junior year, he met a senior who wanted to create a political science club, but unfortunately it didn’t go according to plan, and he translated what this senior wanted into philosophy.

“I was inspired to create a space for free roam of thought–which is exactly what Philosophy Club is,” Salamong said. “Philosophy, the word itself promotes this. I also have a long term goal of creating my own organization that runs small philosophical workshops for kids. Over time, I want to create something similar to a library. It will be an innovative collaboration between a huge network of individuals who wants to make a difference.”

In the beginning, there were about 15 members, most of them upperclassmen in Mr. Trep’s philosophy class. However, half of the members graduated and left, leaving only five members. Nearly all of them are sophomores who joined last year.

Although many members left, the rest of the crew is working whole-heartedly on recruiting new members. They hope to promote their club in a variety of ways: through posters, spreading the word verbally, announcing it through morning announcements and advertising it through social media.

• Features

New Car to Noah

• Features

Possible Malaria Vaccine

• The Origins behind Philosophy Club

Features

Small Engines Class is ready to Tackle your Lawnmowers!

• Features

What it takes to be the greatest

• The Origins behind Philosophy Club

Features

The Attraction Valentine’s Day Brings In

• The Origins behind Philosophy Club

Features

Harding again one of the ‘most challenging schools’

• The Origins behind Philosophy Club

Features

New cafe brings out the best for staff

• The Origins behind Philosophy Club

Features

Appeal of School Meat to Students

• The Origins behind Philosophy Club

Features

Is Catfishing the New Trend on Social Media?

• Features

How one gesture can change a season

The Origins behind Philosophy Club