The Attraction Valentine’s Day Brings In

Post-it notes on lockers to celebrate the holiday of love.
Photo by Nathalia Cortes Vazquez

Post-it notes on lockers to celebrate the holiday of love. Photo by Nathalia Cortes Vazquez

Nathalia Cortes Vazquez, Reporter

What makes Valentine’s Day a holiday where kids and adults feel the need to celebrate with loved and cherished ones?

Most students at Harding thinks Valentine’s Day isn’t that big of a deal, just a time that goes by with no regret. “Doesn’t really affect me,” said junior Makala Joyce.

The Federal government agreed Valentine’s Day isn’t considered a national holiday. It’s not even recognized as a holiday in countries like Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom according to “Time and Date,” a company that answers questions people have on ‘dates and time.’

Some couples feel forced to celebrate the holiday, rather than have an excuse to spend time together in loving due.

In a survey conducted in advisory at Harding, 65 percent students said that Valentine’s Day was just a day that goes by but still adds meaning to their life. Many celebrate it with the everyday means of appreciating others rather than passing gifts that will only last for so long.

84 students said they celebrated Valentine’s Day although 26 percent are single, suggesting that Valentine’s Day can be a day to show others you appreciate them even if it’s not about romantic love.

14 percent of students actually know the history behind Saint Valentine, and they just celebrate Valentine’s because people talk about it. “I knew since (I was) little and started celebrating,” said freshman Nou Yang.

But some people just celebrate Valentines because they are either expected to celebrate or just want to show their appreciation to others on the one day it could be expressed freely.

84 students of the surveyed, 67 percent know Valentine’s Day is close by because of candy. The candies are designed differently so they will appeal to consumers for the romance holiday.

If not candies then it’s Valentine cards that represent the holiday. Cards have been a tradition since Valentine’s Day has started. The cards have greetings that express feelings for another person.

Most freshmen surveyed felt like the holiday should be celebrated, while juniors didn’t have strong feelings about celebrating the holiday.

• Features

New Car to Noah

• Features

Possible Malaria Vaccine

• The Attraction Valentine’s Day Brings In

Features

Small Engines Class is ready to Tackle your Lawnmowers!

• Features

What it takes to be the greatest

Features

Harding again one of the ‘most challenging schools’

Features

New cafe brings out the best for staff

Features

Appeal of School Meat to Students

Features

Is Catfishing the New Trend on Social Media?

• Features

How one gesture can change a season

Features

SEA club hopes to become more diverse