Small Engines Class is ready to Tackle your Lawnmowers!

Gregg Adler, Automotive teacher. Photo taken by Tristin Thao.

Tristin Thao, Reporter

The Small Engines class is ready to repair teachers’ and staff’s lawnmowers, along with gardening equipment. The class are not just accepting lawnmowers and gardening equipment, however. Students are currently working on the back of a speed boat engine. The Small Engines class has prepared itself to take on this challenge, said Mr Gregg Adler, the teacher of the class.

Students also can to bring in their mowers or gardening tools for repair, not just teachers and staff. The repair itself is completely free, but customers are required to pay for the equipment that is needed. Once the class has the parts that are required, students will fix it up ASAP. Small Engines is taking donations if you would like to donate once your repair is done.

The Small Engines class works on broken engines as projects. Freshmen and sophomores are usually in the class, working together to give teachers and staff the best experience with their fixed-up engine. Other grades are allowed, but the mass majority are freshmen and sophomores. Students say that a simple oil change will keep an engine cool and happy for a long time.

A fun fact about Mr. Adler is that he has been working on small engines for at least 26 years. He first started at a high school student to gain information and to learn more about small engines. “I started working and focusing on small engines back in 1991 in Buffalo High,” said Mr. Adler.

He will indeed continue working on small engines and teaching upcoming students how to fix up engines from the experience he has already learned, he said. However, Mr. Adler did add that if there is no one who signs up for the class or just not enough people, he will not be teaching Small Engines in the near future.

Having students help fix up students’ and teachers’ engines is something he wants the students to apply to their own lives outside school. “Everyone at some point is going to be a householder, so it’s good to have these skills you’ve learned in the Small Engines class and apply it to real-life problems,” Mr. Adler said.

Devlin Lee, is a junior in the class who has been in there for three quarters, almost four. He enjoys fixing up engines and finding small components to fix the lawnmower. “Small engines is a great class, I enjoy working with other students. We come together and help fix engines. One thing that is complex about fixing up the engine is just finding what’s wrong with it. When a problem like that occurs then we will just ask Mr. Adler.” He said. He does in fact, look forward to be working on engines in the near future.

Mr. Adler wants his students to feel accomplished when having the final product in their hands. “It’s cheaper to do it on your own than having someone else do it for you, all you gotta do is save up the money and build self confidence, have the satisfaction of doing it yourself!” Mr. Adler said.

• Small Engines Class is ready to Tackle your Lawnmowers!

Features

All-gender bathrooms in Harding: is it a good idea?

Features

Buck family feels lucky to survive a crash

Features

Football player headed to Southwest

Features

Vandalism becoming a problem at Harding

• Features

Youth Take Lead in School Community

Features

Q&A: Molly Keenan wins Minnesota Council Social Studies Teacher of the Year

Features

Harding students walk out to protest gun violence

Features

The controversy of kneeling to the pledge of allegiance

• Features

New Car to Noah

• Features

Possible Malaria Vaccine