Buck family feels lucky to survive a crash

Mr. Buck's car in a collision shop, after the accident. Photo provided by the Buck family.

Jacqueline Martinez, Reporter

You may see Ian Buck walking around in the hallway or teaching in the computer lab, and you may see his mother, Amy Buck, working in Harding’s daycare. But about two months ago, they were making headlines. On Dec. 29, a snow storm on interstate 380 near Waterloo, Iowa, caused a huge pile-up when a semi-truck crashed into multiple vehicles, including the car the pair had been driving in.

Amy Buck, Harding’s child care nurse and AGAPE High School’s lead nurse, said she remembered waking up just for a second “to my son behind me yelling that he couldn’t feel his hand, and he kept saying that over and over.”

Then she regained consciousness again. “I was very proud of myself, actually, in the ambulance because I came to,” she said, adding that she was able to tell the EMTs the information they needed, including the fact that Eric Buck, her husband, was driving another car.

Ian Buck, Harding’s technology teacher, Robotics co-coach and Gaming club advisor, was driving the car carrying Ms. Buck. He’s the least serious case, dispatched on the same day. He was given a ride by a state trooper to another hospital, where the rest of his family was sent.

She had internal bleeding in her brain that has now been reabsorbed, but the damage was a force to be reckoned with in the hospital. “I literally threw up every time that I moved,” said Ms. Buck. “Dr. Walsh, [would see] that I’ve thrown up and she very nicely said to the nurses, ‘Y’know, I’ve helped the neuro-nurses out before cleaning somebody up, could you please help me?’”  

Ian Buck has trouble believing what was happening. “I was thinking that this can’t be real,” Mr. Buck said. “This has got to be a really weird dream.” A call from his fiancée assured him he was awake.

“Since the crash, some people have been [asking me questions like] ‘are you nervous about driving?’ and well, not really,” Mr. Buck said. “It’s probably better that I don’t really remember the crash itself.”

This crash didn’t just injure the people involved. It has also affected their daily lives. Mr. Buck’s brother, Jonas, 20, had to stay in the hospital for rehabilitation, missing a semester of college and a study abroad. Another brother, Marshal, who just turned 15 and is the newest member of family since his adoption in 2016, was involved in the crash and suffered some of the worst injuries, including a skull fracture. He remains hospitalized in Children’s Hospital. “He has to relearn how to do everything,” said Mr. Buck. He’s since been improving little by little.

Mr. Buck has returned to his normal school-day schedule while Ms. Buck has returned to work in Harding’s daycare, but only for two mornings a week.

A GoFundMe was started by the neighbors of the Buck Family. “First of all, we have felt all the prayers and support that people have cheered,” Ms. Buck said. “It’s hard for people like us who have always given and given and given to the community and our church, but you realize sometimes you have the be the recipient and this is a time for us, so we appreciate all the support, we need it right now.”

• Buck family feels lucky to survive a crash

Features

All-gender bathrooms in Harding: is it a good idea?

Features

Football player headed to Southwest

Features

Vandalism becoming a problem at Harding

• Features

Youth Take Lead in School Community

Features

Q&A: Molly Keenan wins Minnesota Council Social Studies Teacher of the Year

Features

Harding students walk out to protest gun violence

Features

The controversy of kneeling to the pledge of allegiance

• Features

New Car to Noah

• Features

Possible Malaria Vaccine

Features

Small Engines Class is ready to Tackle your Lawnmowers!