Students, staff question respect for teachers

A visual image that represents how teachers are paid in Saint Paul Public Schools

William Tzavaras, Sports/News Editor

Some students feel that teachers don’t get the respect they deserve as educators of the youth, and many teachers feel the same way.

There are a couple solid reasons teachers sometimes say they don’t get enough respect. Teachers have to take personal time away from family and friends to grade papers and assignments that they are required to give out, and they have to do a lot of creative problem solving on the fly in order to resolve issues both inside and outside the classroom.

They also need to spend a lot of time planning for how to teach each class that they have because they have students that learn at different levels each hour, and almost all teachers teach several different classes. For example, Mr. Greenwald teachers both Regular Biology and IB Biology. He needs to create a lesson plan for two different classes and has to make it different for every hour based on his students’ learning capabilities.

Kevin Tran, a senior at Harding High School, said teachers don’t get the respect they should. “As students, I feel that many of us forget that our teachers have lives outside of school,” he said. “How often do we thank our teachers or ask them about their day? Not often.”

Some students have a hard time realizing that teachers have family too, and they also get tired on some weeknights and simply can’t grade things.

Some students also fail to realize that teachers have feelings. If a teacher were to degrade a student they way students degrade teachers, the student would consider it rude and unjust that a teacher would say such a thing. Teachers deserve the same respect as students do; they are people too.

Bae Wa, who is a senior this year, said the amount of respect teachers get is based on a multitude of factors. “Teachers that teach well, joke a little, but are serious about their presentations and show that they genuinely care about their students are liked by most if not all of their students,”  Bae said.

“However, when a teacher slips away from those things, they don’t get the full attention from students while they are trying to teach,” she added. “Sometimes, teachers get treated as more friends than being seen as a professional educational guide. So when teachers get treated too friendly, students will be comfortable around them and act in ways that they think won’t bother teachers or distract their peers around them.”

Another Harding senior, Mai Lee, believes that teachers should be respected more because their profession demands a lot. “Part of our lives is in their hands, because they help guide us into the future and whatever it may hold for us,” she said. “Teachers also tend to be under a ton of pressure from parents and the school board to provide the best that they have to give us. However, it is conflicting to answer if they are getting enough respect.”

Another measure of respect is teacher salaries.? Teachers are paid on a fixed scale based on how many years they have teached in the district along with where they are at in their educational levels.

For example, if a teacher has been in the district for six years and has a bachelor’s degree, he or she is be making around $45,500. But is that enough?

Gretchen Hintze, a teacher at Spring Lake Park, doesn’t believe it is.. “For the amount of hours I put into my job that takes away from my family and personal downtime, I do not get paid enough,” she said. “Also, my job takes a lot of problem solving on the fly, be it in the classroom, or outside, it’s simply not enough.”

For Ms. Hintze, it’s not just about pay, though.“I feel personally I don’t get enough respect as a person either,” she said. “I feel disrespected sometimes when students get angry over things not being graded. I can understand if it’s been three weeks and it’s not in, but if it’s been one weekend, you seriously need to relax because I have things I want to do as well that don’t include grading papers.”

Mai  that teachers should be paid more. “Teachers should honestly make as much as doctors,” she said. “They’re responsible for so much. “I don’t see why they get paid so little. They went to school for so long to put it back into the community, so they should honestly make more.”