What it takes to fundraise

Megan Engelstad, Reporter

Fundraising at an urban school is a lot of work. Items get lost, people don’t have time and finding people that are financially able to contribute is hard.

When doing fundraising, you need to figure out which method works the best. “There are two methods that I like to do and one that we sometime try,” said band and orchestra teacher Jennifer Greupner. “There is a group called Club Choice and they are the main people that we use. We see 40 percent back on. It’s better than what some groups do.”

Ms. Greupner believes that students need to be motivated. “The drumline is kind of competitive with each other and as a group vs. other schools,” she said. “If you can get one person who is selling a lot, then that creates the ‘I’m going to sell the most’  then there is the other person who wants to chime in.”

She also thinks that students seeing where the money is going is a great way to motivate them. “You get some students who fundraise a lot and some students are not interested in it. I never make students do it because I don’t want to do it. Fundraising is something that is good for our program. We can fix instruments and buy strings. When a student can see where the money is going to, it can motivate them.”

Ms. Greupner briefly talked about what can go wrong. “Another thing we tried this year is selling coupon books, which was okay but it was not the best,” she said. “Students saw almost 50 percent on the returns, which is a little bit better than 40 percent but the most someone sold was eight. When we did the books, everyone had to take a book and bring them back. We lost about 20 books that students have no idea where they went, which is a bummer. On the positive the company expects this to happen so they did not charge them for all of them but shortfall is you don’t see 100 percent of the profit.”

One student who took part in one of the fundraisers claimed that he sold so much because he is a salesman. “I mainly sold to random people, but I sold them because I am a f—ing salesman,” said freshman Muhammad Abdur-Raheem.

What it takes to fundraise