Harding High School’s Website gets Remodeled

Harding's new website on the left monitor and the old one on the right. Photo By Libby Harper.

Libby Harper, Reporter

Harding High School is updating and remodeling its website.

Patty McDonald, a Harding parent, and Ian Buck, a Harding teacher, are taking the lead on this project. According to Ms. McDonald the reason the website is changing is because the district is switching all the systems from one platform to another.

“It’ll look similar just on a new platform,” Ms. McDonald said. “It’ll look similar to all the other St. Paul Public School websites.”

From a teacher’s point of view, Mr. Buck said new system will make it easier for teachers to edit their own web page. “When I go into change things (the current website) has a really confusing interface,” he said. “(The new website) allows all teachers access to their web page. Before we had to email Ms. Reuber what you wanted, and she would put it up.”

Mr. Buck said one of the best changes that is going to be made is that the website will be made of responsive web pages. Responsive web pages allow users to minimize a window, and the website will minimize with it instead of having to scroll left or right. Another improvement that will be made is that it will be mobile-device friendly so if someone wants to look of the Harding web page on their phone, it will look the same as it does online.

One of the main goals of the new website is to keep it continuously updated. Ms. McDonald has been working on the website for two years since her son started at Harding. “When I started,” she said, “It wasn’t up to date. For example, there was information about sports practices and games from two years before.”

Ms. McDonald said that one of the reasons that Harding is the last school to put out its new website is because when the website was first created, engineers from 3M came in and did a lot of customization, which made it hard to transfer information.

It is currently unknown when the website will be ready for the public. It was supposed to be ready September 26, but Mr. Buck said technical issues got in the way. Ms. McDonald and Mr. Buck said the new website should be up very soon.