United Airlines doing something bad

Andy+Thao
Back to Article
Back to Article

United Airlines doing something bad

Andy Thao

Andy Thao

Andy Thao

Andy Thao

Andy Thao, Reporter

Recently, an airliner threw out a passenger after overbooking a flight. Some may think it’s fine, but I think it’s not.

Overbooking is when airliners give out more tickets than the plane can handle. Now you may think it’s wrong and dumb that airliners do this, but it’s all about profit. Airliners have to do this due to something called a no-show ratio. This ratio represents the number of people who don’t show up on the plane per 10,000 people. The problem with this is that when people don’t show up to the plane, the airliner loses money for a no-show; however, when airlines overbook, they don’t lose money as the chances of a no-show decreases. In this case, United Airlines did what it needed to do as a company.

Now the bad thing about what United Airlines did is how it handled the situation. I believed that the airline could’ve handled the situation without using violence. Just watching both videos of the Asian man getting dragged by the police and blood coming out of his mouth kind of shows the police were pretty damn . Was there a way without violence? I think yes. United Airlines first stated that it would offer compensation to the people who gave up their seats. The question is, what was going to be the compensation? According to the videos that I watched on Facebook, United Airlines did not state the compensation for the passengers that were willing to get off. That’s why none of the

If I were in charge of the current situation, then I would first say what is the compensation, and if passengers didn’t volunteer to get off, then I would pick the people who are of the least value to the flight and then compensate them. For example a person that was late I would take out since they were already late or a person that bought a ticket for a cheaper price. It may sound bad, but if no passengers volunteer to get off a overbooked flight, then the flight itself is already bad. By picking out the passengers that are of the least value to the flight, you have a logical reason why you choose them.

I would also compensate them by giving them something like a free flight to their destination, or money. This way people are less likely (but not by much) to show resistance.

United Airlines chose the best way to end the problem by picking people out, but it choose people at random. If you chose people with a logical reason, then there is a chance of no resistance. Either way, nobody is going to be happy, but I think this way, the police don’t have to beat  an old man to a bloody pulp, and United Airlines doesn’t have to take the risk of getting sued.

United Airlines doing something bad