Spring sports are right around the corner

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shaina Moua, Reporter

As the winter season comes to an end, athletes are itching to get outside and begin spring season sports. There is plenty to look forward to this spring on the Harding sports scene. The sports available are baseball, boys’ tennis, softball, track and field, girls’ track and field, badminton, girls’ golf and boys’ golf. Before students are able to be a part of the upcoming season teams, there are multiple steps to be completed, such as filling out athletic forms and a physical and shot form in order to participate. Many students enjoy and are very active in sports, but without these requirements, students are not allowed to practice or play.

Gerald Keenan, athletic director, stresses the importance of sports in general at Harding. “Three letters, F.U.N. To expand on the importance behind why I enjoy my job, fellowship and interaction with other students,” Mr. Keenan said. “Though sports may bring enjoyment and memories, many students forget the balance of both academic and physical togetherness.”

Key aspects of sports is the competition, teamwork and discipline that students learn. Students are taught to work with others and to create space for learning how to win and lose and what it means to play by the rules.

Captain’s practices have already started, as usual. They started a few weeks earlier than the team’s practice. A big part of sports is attending and always being present at practices. One of the main reasons students are late to join other students at practices is due to their sports physical and shots. Sometimes students are not aware of their overdue physical and shot form, which causes a longer time for students to join their team mates for practice. “Missing practice time can cause the team a lack to be cohesive, and often times, it does not provide growth or team bonding between teammates,” said Mr. Keenan.

Although sports can be fun, many students forget the importance of their academics. “Some youth cannot participate because of their poor grades, and it is a real bummer for me to have to see that,” said Mr. Keenan. The coaches and teachers continuously try to support and encourage students to perform well in the classrooms and in sports, he added.

Jeramiah Cotter, a junior at Harding, joined track and field in seventh grade and soon earned the position of team captain in middle school. As he did in his freshman year, Jeramiah plans on going to sections and is looking forward to being a team captain for this year’s track and field team. He has always enjoyed the competition that sports has been able to offer, especially during the outdoor sport season with warm weather. “I enjoy running because it frees my mind and I am able to perform well in this sport,” said Jeramiah.

Their first game of the season is March 31. “I see potential in my team and I believe we will start strong and continue to go far,” Jeramiah said, adding that he looks forward to the first meet and the upcoming track and field season.

Tennis is one of the last sports to start due to the snow. As soon as the snow melts, students will be able to practice on the courts. Tong Chang, a sophomore at Harding, has been playing since freshman year and continues to stay committed to tennis because of the fun and the skills that he has gained. “It’s fun and it feels like home,” said Tong. “It also keeps me healthy!”

Although the first game, scheduled for April 5, is still a month away, the boys’ tennis team has already started giving 110 percent effort by attending all the captain practices and even practicing outside of school. “I already know this season will go well because we’re working hard and we’re training ourselves mentally and physically for this season,” said Tong.

The team has high expectations this year and is looking forward to making it to conferences.

• Spring sports are right around the corner

Features

Football player headed to Southwest

• Sports

Tennis Game Goes Relatively Smoothly Despite Weather

• Opinion

Why Do Sports?

• Features

What it takes to be the greatest

Sports

There is no such thing as being “Too Feminine” or “Too Masculine”

Sports

Tennis team visualizes winning

• Sports

Harding boy’s soccer team loses to Central

Sports

Section basketball

Sports

Highland beats Harding

Features

Jet Mika