Harding boy’s soccer team loses to Central

Adan Mohamud, Reporter

On Sept. 26th, the Harding Knights boys soccer team took on Central Minutemen’s boys soccer team at Griffin Stadium. This was Harding’s third conference matchup, and it proved to be a tough one as Central Minutemen came out the victor, winning 3-2 in a heavily contested bout.

Coming into this matchup, Harding Knights were carrying a 1-1 conference record, having won against Johnson and lost to Washington Tech in the week prior to this game. Central Minutemen came into this game having a 1-0 conference record, having beaten Como Park the week before at home.

The game started with an attack-heavy gameplan enforced by the Central Minutemen. They used the horrible weather conditions to their advantage as the wind carried every ball they played in stride and put it behind Harding’s back line several times. The Minutemen struck quickly in the first half, scoring three on the Harding Knights who looked lost for the first 40 minutes, being attacked on all cylinders with through balls and crosses that had sliced Harding’s defense in half.

The Harding Knights refused to lie down and take this attack on its defensive structure, so they changed their formation from a diamond back line to a flat four with three attackers as well as three midfielders. This proved to work in the Knights’ favor as they shut down the wing/plank attack that forced the three first-half goals by the Minutemen. Harding retaliated with a wing attack of their own, giving through balls to wingers Nurdin Ahmed and Lay Soe. This was a strategy that proved the be difficult to deal with as the Minutemen couldn’t handle the speed of both wingers who pierced through the Minutemen’s back line. The Knights broke their own deadlock with two quick goals by Lay Soe. A third goal was looming as the Knights had hit the woodwork and post several times within the next ten minutes. Close offside calls and miscommunications were a big part in Harding not being able to get that last goal to tie the game.

The Harding Knights ended up losing 3-2 and falling to a 1-2 record in conference, and the Central Minutemen advanced with a 2-0 record in conference play.