There is no such thing as being “Too Feminine” or “Too Masculine”

Drawn by Sheng Yang

Drawn by Sheng Yang

Sheng Yang, Reporter

Though it is rare to see girls join Harding’s wrestling team, this year’s team looks forward to having a girl on their team.

Wrestling is a co-ed sport, which allows both genders to wrestle or play a sport. Dylan Vang, senior captain notices that there hasn’t been a girl on the team since his freshman year, but to have a girl on the team this year would be great, he also mentioned. Being a girl on a wrestling team takes a great amount of courage. Wrestling coach, Otto Kraus has a lot of respect for girls who are in wrestling because it’s difficult to interact with boys, but in general they have a equal respect for each other.

Mr. Kraus has been coaching girl wrestlers for six years now, he mentions that it is different from coaching guys and girls. He mentions that girls take more time to realize they are no different from the rest of the team, that they are part of the sport. On the mats, wrestlers learn that they are not judged on their appearance, but their abilities. “Once you step on the mat you only see a wrestler. You don’t see a guy or a girl or a wrestler with a missing arm or leg. You just see a wrestler,” said Dylan.

Harding’s wrestling team really values diversity in gender, race, abilities, and disabilities. Dylan and Coach Kraus believe that having multiplicity within their teammates makes their team mentally stronger.  “There’s a quote that I always say, “everyone sweats the same,” and it’s important to learn that they all are alike,” said Mr. Kraus.

Wrestling is mostly seen as a physical sport, but there is so much more than that.

Mr. Kraus believe that wrestling is also mentally tough, having a good support system is something that every wrestler should have. For six years now, Mr. Kraus still goes by the saying, “we is greater than me.”

In Dylan’s opinion, wrestling isn’t a sport, it’s a new type of lifestyle and showing your commitment. Not everyone can adapt to healthy eating or keeping their weight balanced, but at the end it is all worth it. Being a wrestler is not easy, but wrestling does offers a great team. Most of the wrestlers go by the motto of, “once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”

• There is no such thing as being “Too Feminine” or “Too Masculine”

Features

Football player headed to Southwest

• Sports

Tennis Game Goes Relatively Smoothly Despite Weather

• Opinion

Why Do Sports?

• Features

What it takes to be the greatest

Sports

Tennis team visualizes winning

• Sports

Harding boy’s soccer team loses to Central

Sports

Spring sports are right around the corner

Sports

Section basketball

Sports

Highland beats Harding

Features

Jet Mika